Our words hold immense power. Enhancing awareness around what we chose to speak and how can be the difference between deeply nourishing intimacy and connection, or destruction and great loss. We all know the pain and remorse of going with impulses and expression that disconnects.
Since coming across the work of Marshall Rosenberg's Nonviolent Communication 8 years ago, I cannot help but draw on it in all my work and relationships. It has be an absolute game changer!
NVC is a simple 4 step process, that transforms the way we relate inwardly and to others. We learn how to more deeply understand and take responsibility for our experience; communicate this experience in a way that is more likely to be heard by another; and speak up for our needs in a way that empowers and frees our relationships.
Currently I offer coaching in integrating NVC into parenting and relationships via private sessions.
This will be kind of like them learning a new language as it takes lots of practice. Conscious Communication primarily is a different way of thinking; shifting from right/wrong or good/bad to getting curious about the different ways we all go about getting our needs met when in pain. The way we communication then flows on from there.
C Communication (NVC) incorporates such topics as:
- Communication that hurts
- Communication that feels good
- Naming and noticing different feelings
- Becoming aware of the subjectivity of opinions
- Listening with empathy
- Hearing the needs behind difficult messages
- Taking responsibility for our feelings
- Healthy emotional boundaries
- Expressing and receiving empathy
- Self empathy - noticing what we say to ourselves when we are in pain
- Requests vs. demands when asking others to support our needs being met
- Saying “no” with care for another’s feelings
- Hearing and receiving another person’s “no”
As you can see, these are all big topics and can be studied at various depths. Initially however, we focus on general emotional literacy, self-reflection, empathy and listening and then build from there.
If you are interested in getting a group started within your Home Schooling Community, please contact Emily. Groups are tailored to work with difference sized groups and age ranges.